- where do I set the iOS app to metric please?
- Kunduz, Afghanistan — taken by Taliban
เมือง Kunduz ในอัฟกานิสถาน — ถูกตาลีบันยึดครอง… http://t.co/ExgP5EhtvM
2015-09-30 – 23:56
2015-09-29 – 23:55
2015-09-28 – 23:56
- “deeply worrying that the political leaders of northern Norway want to limit ’s role as a provider of news and opinion”
- BarentsObserver Editor Thomas Nilsen is sacked with immediate effect http://t.co/Dq2x7xQsoB
- “The Bridge” S03E01.
- Time to get a proper camera. Supermoon exposing the limitations of the iPhone 6+ camera. http://t.co/6igULBzF59
2015-09-27 – 23:55
- Croydon sunset, sun shining straight through the empty floors of the Nestlé building. Next for the supermoon. http://t.co/ZR9cmsmZcS
2015-09-25 – 23:55
- As I could not respect Marcus Wareing more - the Masterchef man loves his Five Guys burger (Evening Standard). http://t.co/I5hsmBZFqr
2015-09-24 – 23:57
- US government hack stole fingerprints of 5.6 million federal employees http://t.co/6n4L5jWvUk
2015-09-23 – 23:56
- Blimey - where did this come from?
Brand new, full on retrospective interview with John Foxx
- Well done Deloitte in authoring a 60-page report on Google’s «£11 billion» contribution to the the UK, without ONCE mentioning the word tax.
2015-09-20 – 23:56
- Would you choose a former politician, who has never run a business of ANY size, to be CEO of Apple Computers or General Electric?
2015-09-19 – 23:56
2015-09-18 – 23:55
- 31b St Mary’s Road http://t.co/Ot74rfn02k: «inspired by the US Case Study Houses scheme & van der Rohe’s Farnsworth House»
- Prepping for . Just one property on the list, but looks to be a gem: 31bSt Mary’s Road, 1965 modernist home by Foggo&Thomas.
- Cheating virus hits poker players (BBC): “shares the cards with the virus’s creators who then join the same game” http://t.co/DisRd5LSKL
- meaning that amateur bloggers and podcasters might again be paid a minimum wage. The war for mobile is now on thanks to Apple.
- we might be heading towards the future (and past) that Jaron Lanier wants: you produce good content, you get directly paid.
- Buying the Peace adblocker to all (well both) my iOS devices. Micropayments might soon come of age (as they apparently are on the continent)
- When I started to use Internet around 1990 (email&Usenet) there were no adverts and all content was free, so back soon to where we started.
2015-09-17 – 23:55
- Not a Corbynite man by any means, but looks like politics and the public is not ready for a man of principle.
- Pragmatism (ie republican, but in no rush to get rid of monarchy; singing “GSTQ” as an atheist) is OK, but a principled man sticks w ideals.
- People offended by Corbyn not lip syncing to “God Save the Queen”. Oh dear,there’s no right to go through life without being offended.
- has named the Queen #3 on the list of “London’s 25 progress-makers” (she’s old that’s why).
- [Über] because our treatment of <strike>employees<strike> independent contractors is inhuman, so you won’t notice
- “Energy and phone companies worst in Britain, say customers” (Times sub required). Take your money elsewhere, I did. http://t.co/CnQy2r56Ak
2015-09-16 – 23:55
- #NowPlaying “Better Than This” by Ane Brun from When I’m Free (Deluxe) Ane channelling Kate Bush. ♫ http://t.co/GliofkzfnH
- http://t.co/GDzYRAhgEj? The Top 100 Norwegian records of all time as selected by musicians (big holes though, according to me).
- Murdoch’s demands #JeremyCorbyn show The Queen respect, after they recently called her a Nazi #AnthemGate http…
- A good word goes a long way! ‘Croydon in this weeks featuring with a photo by us ;-) http://t…
- Shedload of security bugs squashed in iOS 9 – what the hell went wrong with iOS 8? • The Regi… 101 exploits fixed? http://t.co/c6IT851Fok
- So ordering and then bordering an Über car in London is booked through the Netherlands, so no tax to the HMRC (ie less money to roads?).
- “Uber is killing off iconic black cabs, warns Zac Goldsmith”. Con gov can fix tax system to level taxi competition. http://t.co/ZCEhRA5F7F
- “AirDrop hole deposits stealth malware on all pre-iOS 9 Apple devices”. Ouch, there just might be a reason to upgrade http://t.co/ubfwWM5xjb
- updated Siri (there’s no way I’m enabling an always on listening device on my phone) and so on. I’ll wait for first iOS 9 patch.
- “Live photos” (ie animated GIFs recycled), updated maps (I’ll stick with Google Maps, Citymapper for travel), updated News and …
- David Attenborough backs huge Apollo-style clean energy research plan http://t.co/lYLTVNzk6O
- Am I about to do the same again as part of MSE’s big swich? Time will tell.
- Not quite on par with the sufferings of De Sade’s Justine, but I’ve moved from one energy provider who had problems with their IT to another
- Marine population ‘halved since 1970’ http://t.co/ioqwWoG8BU
- If you are an atheist and republican then singing “God Save the Queen” is plainly wrong. The clue is in the song’s title.
2015-09-15 – 23:56
- Did designers at deliberately want to upset those folks with OCD? This tortures me every time here! http:/…
- Don’t bother buying computers for schools, says OECD report “cannot point to improved reading, maths or science”. http://t.co/akvwpUagbB
- “Timex’s upcoming fitness watch goes back to analog”. Best looking fitness tracker yet (& that includes Apple Watch). http://t.co/TpUUluwQMu
- “The left always falls out with itself. It’s like the life cycle of the moth”. (“One Labour MP, quoted in FT). That certainly sounds right.
- #NowPlaying “Better Than This” by Ane Brun from When I’m Free. Fretless slap (?) bass 80s style (nicely done). ♫ http://t.co/qykkeDUTVD
- quoted on split within Yamaguchi-gumi (Sunday Times): “They [Japanese] think: better organised crime than unorganised crime”.
- Has Tom Watson launched his coup yet?
- Photograph 51 at the Noel Coward Theatre (Times, subscription req): ” … not the perfect play. Yet Kidman is superb” http://t.co/GR2crgWTPD
2015-09-14 – 23:56
2015-09-13 – 23:55
- but 8 out of 9 models don’t wear socks for autumn? Might work in Cali, but no socks is not an option for a muggy October in London.
- Boom. Sunday Times thumps through the letter box with extras including autumn catatalogue with nice tweed jackets etc, BUT
- http://t.co/S4gabJOHoe Some good stills of the Varming house (notice the abundance of storage, so often missing in British homes).
- Varming’s house (Eva and Nils Koppel) is 130m2 and is also in bricks.
- This is what one should aspire to, not some 500m2 white box.
- Excellent «Varming’s eget hus» also available https://t.co/oEaQrkOzac . Part of a different series («Outstanding Nordic Houses»)
- Holscher’s home is the pinnacle of Scandinavian discrete modernism, made of bricks and packed to the rim with good details.
- Rewatched «Arkitektens Hjem» (The Architect’s Home») with Knud Holscher (it’s on YouTube) but for how long ?) https://t.co/26UgLS5NfD
- In Britain it’s CCTV, in the US guns: «less than 5% of the world’s population, … half the world’s privately owned firerarms» (The Times).
- «Photograph 51» is play though and tension and a bit of «compression» of history makes better drama. If you want facts go elsewhere.
- C) Photograph 51 was not «stolen» or «slipped»
- A) Rosalind Franklin was dead (1958) when the Nobels were awarded (1962).
B) she likely would have been awarded a (shared chemistry) Nobel
- Guardian article’s main points from June are repeated in today’s Opinion piece in The Times by
2015-09-12 – 23:55
- http://t.co/rGIkbvsmxt «Franklin’s data was key to the double helix model, but the ‘stealing’ myth stems from Watson’s memoir”
- that is one big webcam.
- The Premier League continues to be the best in the world despite having no-one very good in it. Its like The Happy Mondays.
- You have to WAIT for AA on Pokerstars?
- Blessings: lucky enough to see Mike Modano 5x times when he played for Minnesota North Stars and lucky enough to have read Patrick Modiano.
- Searching for Modiano (Patrick, author) in Tweetdeck also gives me loads of tweets about Modano (Mike, record breaking NHL player).
- Still lovely. Finest Finnish band ever? #nowplaying ♫ http://t.co/A9uNenEUI4
- https://t.co/hEzDSAaZ4z No Brompton day hire dock in Croydon just yet though.
- http://t.co/w8yoHDMFFR «New cycle hub and bike hire scheme to launch in Croydon». Good news is that I can test ride a Brompton locally.
- Few years ago I would have liked that sort of white box architecture, but after binging on «Arkitektens Hjem» I’m out of love w white boxes
2015-09-11 – 23:55
- Grand Designs kicks off new series with a very extravagant house http://t.co/ll5gFtjSTb via
- on the basis of the title of the sampler and its avocado green cover I’m #nowplaying (and it’s got Underworld and R… http://t.co/9LHjPn1Hmq
- Reading aound 50% of my literature electronically (Nook, not Kindle) these days, but still bring in plenty of dead wood through the doors.
- Making your corridor into another type of room, spotted both a and in The Times: “library spaces w seating niches, bookshelves”.
- 2999 ft and it’s a corbett (hill), 3000 ft and it’s a munro (mountain) via (“Hikers went up a mountain … but came down a hill”).
- “Ashley Madison passwords cracked”. The mad story of the amateur IT dept of AM continues. http://t.co/LOweNiJM0D
- I’ve argued for years that forced monthly password changes is less secure than simply choosing strong passwords in the first place.
- GCHQ wants to set your passwords. (Register). “GCHQ agrees that passwords should not be subject to regular changes.” http://t.co/NZQ5Qlpfuq
- PlayStation and me: how a console shaped my life http://t.co/fbebwCWVNe
- Convenience (in this case using remote controlled (aka “keyless” locks ) seems to top security (proper locks, stronger windows) every time.
- My emphasis. And “security through obscurity” like suggested in the next paragraph does not work very well either.
- “There is no FAULT with LandRover’s security systems”. So they are MEANT to enable thieves to steal car in 30 secs? http://t.co/lNZNdZPfJi
2015-09-10 – 23:55
- Watching “Hunted” on the web. Forgot to the turn on the VPN, but using a one-time email address if nothing else.
- “Why Apple shouldn’t be selling a 16GB iPhone 6S”. As I’ve said before: I can’t understand why there’s no 32GB iPhone http://t.co/WrGSxwzNqA
- Apple’s “Hey Siri” Event in Less Than 10 Minutes (Engadget). Did Apple just release another Wii? Siriously. http://t.co/I9XNFhWZWL
2015-09-09 – 23:55
- “Ashley Madison’s terms and conditions told users it ran fake accounts”. Clever, coz everyone will read the T&Cs. http://t.co/wSQD9aVe74
2015-09-08 – 23:55
- Very pleased for Wayne Rooney. A tremendous talent and good man. That said, I bet Harry Kane’s slyly doing a few mental sums…
- Richard Rogers’ prefabricated housing for homeless people opens in south London http://t.co/Xh7bQklW1J via
- come on, surely it was on purpose? Oxford Street, as long as no one gets in trouble.
- Latest series of “Homeland” brought home with UK drone killings.
- “Nest outage cuts remote users off from Dropcams, thermostats”. Internet of nothings. http://t.co/ed3iR1roKi
- Genius product placement from : bags of m&m’s hung among the tubes of toothpaste. http://t.co/z0r7Tiw5Ep
- Frederick Forsyth on doing a final edit (adding “The day of” to the title of “The Jackal”). I can’t remember reading it, so probably time.
2015-09-07 – 23:55
- “When I had typed the last line, I rolled the title page back into the machine and stared at it … Not a word has been changed since”.
- People don’t expect DOD-level security but, Seagate, please stop adding hidden hardcoded root logins to hard drives.
- Iceland reach Euro 2016 but Lars Lagerback insists: ‘Nelson Mandela is a hero, I am not’ http://t.co/ru8TEY3s3r via …
- Boxpark Croydon will be bigger than originally announced http://t.co/9KHW2d5JTm http://t.co/at99avhvdh
- when trains are cancelled it would be good if Citymapper flagged it. National rail top of pic, CM bottom http://t.co/CugXOmUGLJ
- Something is seriously wrong with weekend travel in this country. First train cancelled, second train delayed “due to lack of train crew”.
- Sweden offers permanent residency to all Syrian refugees. Respect.
- Is it possible that he believes what he learns from Fox News? https://t.co/K6BhtV4qSl
2015-09-06 – 23:55
- That from Sunday Times biz section. Maybe green energy is both quicker to construct and cheaper?
- and cost is likely to go up: “A similar EDF plant … 3 times over budget and fallen 6 years behind schedule”. Hinkley Point will be 2x size
- The nuclear future is not quite here and when it comes it might just cost us. Hinkley Point due to open in 2017 will not open until 2024 and
- ‘Please (*3), can someone round up all the sanctimonious fart boxes that are “clean eaters” and light one massive match’ in ST.
- With budgets like that Sky & BT should be able swat auntie away. Why can’t they? Simples, right wingers just don’t tend to make good content
- and STILL Sky (Murdoch and soon PM’s friend Brooks) continue to complain about the BBC’s “unfair” licence fee.
- “Sky and BT will … [in 2016] spend more to televise one season of Premier League football than BBC spends annually” http://t.co/YylV6YZYGF
- Turkey 3 - The Netherlands 0. The Netherlands 4th (fourth) in their group (!).
- Norway 2 - Croatia 0. We still have to go to Italy, but at least we are alive and kicking.
- Jo Inge Berget! Norway 2 - Croatia 0. Berget keeping our Euro qualifying campaign alive.
- Jo Inge Berget! Norway 1 - Croatia 0.
- Stunning from Nina Kinert. Could have been a Dolly Parton or Lyle Lovett number. #nowplaying ♫ http://t.co/Z4BFdvMBQh
- #nowplaying Ternheim og Fläskkvartetten ♫ http://t.co/yPYBvoarIX
- My letter in today. Regenerating cities is cool. Expensive follies are not. Oppose #gardenbridge http://t…
- cue the longest delays?
- #ShowMeaHero—which shares The Wire’s ardent social realism—is a return to form for #DavidSimon http://t.co/CX27wIQqRm http:…
- where do I find this doctor?
- complete with must be the earliest swimsuit.
- http://t.co/VHyQ2RxMl0 Frederick Forsyth: «was approached by an [Mi6] intelligence officer who asked him to ‘tell us what’s going on’ «
- «My only qualification was that I was crazy enough to do it» (find out what was going on on Biafra)
- Wonder if and Frederick Forsyth ever crossed paths in Biafra? Both were there in 1969.
- http://t.co/hARXwQ9UMQ Napoleon E02+E03 of Andrew Robert’s series of Bonaparte. Roberts could have done with a talking head counterpoint.
2015-09-05 – 23:56
- “Photograph 51”. Good acting all over, more humour than expected, set design not great (why not use progress leading to #51?)’. 4* thx to NK
- don’t forget your shoes Ólafur
- Off to see Nicole Kidman and friends with . Opening night for “Photograph 51”. Hipster night for the Saga generation.
- «Show Me a Hero» E01-E06. Seen in one 6hr long session. David Simon & Paul Haggis drama, sits somewhere between «The Wire» and «Boss»(?). 5*
2015-09-04 – 23:55
- opening night and all - smug.
- http://t.co/gCpOfHXncr Yamaguchi-gumi split as reported in The Guardian (where I first picked up on this story).
- And it looks like Jake Adelstein is now back in Japan, reporting on a split within the Yamaguchi-gumi http://t.co/K8OyNalBI7
2015-09-03 – 23:55
- https://t.co/LAOENUBpva Yomiuri Shimbun newspaper, circulation around 10 million.
- I didn’t know Yamaguchi-gumi is world’s largest crime group or Yomiuri Shimbun the largest paper until I read Jake Edelstein’s “Tokyo Vice”.
- http://t.co/oOe2KrcWND In case you missed it - Hatton Garden Safe Deposit has gone into liquidation: “Following the robbery, trade dried up”
- “WHSmith mistakenly emails customer details to other customers” Another mishap, time to use “burner” email addresses. http://t.co/za2XOyxeK5
- The iPhone app bug that’s been munching away my storage has been swatted. Usage down from 533MB to 44MB. http://t.co/AjB9PC9utg
2015-09-02 – 23:55
- One modernist estate you missed out on in your OpenHouse guide: the listed Atelier 5 designed St Bernard’s in Croydon.
- Disgrace lasts shorter with powerful friends. Cameron’s friends Brooks and Clarkson are back in business.
- Tragic mistake with HIV email leak. Instead of using an email list the HIV clinic used “cut&paste” and BCC field, only this time it was CC.
2015-09-01 – 23:55
- http://t.co/fufvjrJZWW Open House soon, so visit St Bernard’s Houses, Croydon’s finest modernist estate (part Park Hill scheme by Wates).